Skip to content

Social Justice Activities to Attend in Jan. & Feb.

December 16, 2011

The Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice would like us to know about these upcoming events:

Immigration Issues: Arrest, Detention and Deportation

Saturday, January 28 9:30am – 3:30pm

Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fairfax
2709 Hunter Mill Rd. Oakton , VA 22124-1614

Immigration detailed flyer

IMMIGRATION – 1-28 simple flyer

Confused about the facts on immigration? No matter where you stand on immigration, much of what you believe may be wrong and almost certainly is incomplete. Unitarian-Universalists for Social Justice presents an all day workshop on Immigration Issues

Growing Inequality in Wealth, the Corruption of the Democratic Process and Resulting Social Injustice

Saturday, February 4 8:30am-12:30pm

Mount Vernon Unitarian Church
1909 Windmill Lane
Alexandria , VA 22307

program flyer

The Occupy Movement has given a fresh voice to these long-standing and worsening problems and calls UUs to respond. Income inequality has produced wealthy beneficiaries who use that wealth to create political influence. The political influence of wealthy individuals is magnified by equally powerful (and closely related) corporate interests to so distort our political system that it routinely produces outcomes favoring these wealthy and corporate interests (the 1%) rather than the public interest. There is less and less available for the rest of us (the 99%), resulting in deprivation and growing social injustice, particularly among the most vulnerable. This process represents a vicious cycle that keeps expanding the inequality and the problems it causes.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: